> KZK thanks for interesting and thought-provoking
 > stuff.

I try.

 > Look, I like Miazaki and I have enjoyed a lot of other
 > anime.  Still, there seems to be a deep and abiding
 > reluctance to do SF that I would call "for grownups".

I tried to list ones that were mostly fairly serious drama's with very
little "super deformed" animation.

 > Look, I know I have a lot more to see!  Thanks for the
 > viewing assignment.  I will work my way thru it
 > (slowly.)

Start with _Trigun_.  It's the best of the ones I listed.  It starts
goofy, but gets more & more serious.

 > >>Most stories that deal with time travel forget that
 > we are also moving very rapidly in space, so if you
 > were to travel in time you wouldn't bein the relative
 > vicinity of where you traveled from..

 > See Benford"s TIMESCAPE that actually uses this as
 > part of the plot.

Time travel is my favorite Genre of Science Fiction.

Speaking of Time-Travel and Japanese games, The best one was released a
few years ago for the Playstation called _Chrono Trigger_.

 > >>It seems to me, the biggest problem with faster than
 > light travel (and time travel) is traveling at exactly
 > the speed of light (which is
 > division by zero).   If you could 'jump' over close to
 > exactly c you
 > could avoid most of the unpleasantries.

 > Which is why some people believe there may be
 > tachyons.

I never knew that!

 > Thanks for the comprehensive run down of Japanimation
 > studios!

Animation Quality has come a long way over just the past 10 years.
Compare the quality of the Show _Trigun_ (1998), to _Gungrave_ (2003?),
same studio and same author.

 > As for amateur CGI sf films... they do NOT have to be
 > of the same rendering quality as Beowulf!  A helluva
 > market niche awaits decent "cartoon" level renderings
 > of really good stories.

For 2d it already exists.  It's called Flash animation.  There are even
several shows made that way on cartoon network and nickelodeon (_Mucha
Lucha_, _Handy Manny_, _fosters home for imaginary friends_, _sealab
2021_, _harvey birdman attorney at law_, etc.).  The animation is very
awkward and unnatural, and generally doesn't look very good (fosters and
birdman being the best animated, and most expensive).

As for 3d, it took the guy who made _Sky Captain and the World of
Tomorrow_ something like a year and half to make what amounted to a 3
minute trailer.  It was really good, for one man working alone, but it
didn't scale up.  In order to make the movie, he basically had to create
his own studio with hundreds of employee's.