David Hobby wrote:

> Hi.  I don't see that.  I think the printer is capable
> of printing whatever pattern of dots it's told to, and
> these are supposed to be "True Type" fonts.

You would be amazed.  It depends entirely how the job is processed,
especially if the printer is not attached directly to the computer you
are using.

Best chance for a good outcome is using a printer attached directly to
your computer, with the proper driver for the printer installed.  Then
you will almost certainly get the result you are after.

If you are accessing a network printer by printing directly to it, make
sure you have the appropriate driver for the printer make/model installed.

If you are accessing a printer using a print server or print service on
another computer, then things can get squirrely.  Your computer may have
the font needed, but depending on the print driver on your computer,
that print job may be re-processed on the print server, with the worst
case being embedded fonts getting dropped, leading to wrong output on
the printer, for example. (How's that for a nasty run-on sentence?)

Crossing platforms, a Windows desktop sending print jobs to a UNIX print
server, or a Mac sending a print job to a print attached to a Windows
computer, can also lead to problems unless everything is handled correctly.

As usual, heterogeneous environments lead to strange edge cases.

--[Lance]

--
  GPG Fingerprint: 409B A409 A38D 92BF 15D9 6EEE 9A82 F2AC 69AC 07B9
  CACert.org Assurer