On Sat, 26 Jul 2008, Doug Pensinger wrote:

> Julia wrote:
>

>> Would you consider some excuses to be reasonable?
>

> Of course.  The one I think is lame, though, is that they are somehow saving
> the planet by deciding not to have children.
>

>> And, if responsible, enlightened people are having children, at what point
>> do they get to decide how many is enough?
>

> Of course I'm not proposing that anyone be forced to do anything.  I just
> think that the idea that a couple is being more responsible by _not_ having
> children is pure bulls__t unless there are real mitigating circumstances; if
> you don't have the means or the temperament or even the desire to have
> children.

OK, that's what I was getting at -- I've heard too much about one friend's
family of origin to *not* support her decision not to create another human
being that would be forced into being related to that clusterf*** of a
family.  And, given that they raised her, she believes she does not have
the ability to parent well.  (She makes a great surrogate aunt to certain
families; we don't see her very often, but every interaction she's had
with my kids have been good, and she appreciates the effort I put into
parenting.)

So, I think that if we're not on the same page, at least we overlap by a
paragraph or two.  :)

        Julia