I learned that about 20 years ago when all but one person in the company
over 50 was laid off when their positions were eliminated.  No one under 50
was laid off.  Since it was not a firing, no reason needed to be given.
Soon after, new jobs with slightly different descriptions were staffed.

But, I'm guessing you are in the 'States, where things are quite different
from Europe.  I am lucky because my boss can't fire me...he can only cut my
hours by decreasing the company's income.  What I hope to do, once my wife
finds her call and we move, is slowly cut my hours down (I'm 55 this
Christmas and everyone will be out of college in 2 years)...but still keep
working a bit through my 70s. I like what I do, and I probably have enough
unique expertise to keep working, say, 5-10 hours/week in my mid-70s.

Dan M.