> BTW - when you talk about people working longer, don't
> assume we are all leaving the work force early because we
> want to. While firing people because of their age is
> illegal in the United States, giving them poor performance
> reviews, making their lives miserable, etc can be done and
> often is. Older workers are expensive, too independent,
> represent roadblocks in the path of the younger generation
> - and BTW, if the organization can get them out before
> they're fully vested, it can save itself a ton of
> money.
> Bin there dun that, made it to being vested just barely,
> with the help of a staff advocate - who was later
> transferred to a position where she could do less harm or
> good.
> http://idiotgrrl.livejournal.com/

sounds like the same old story.  in my case i've been there four times with
companies that used bankruptcy when they were unable to downsize and outsource
labor costs.  in my last job i was able to hold on at the top of the pay scale
long enough to build up a nest egg because my 401K sure won't feather my nest.
i had looked forward to working into my 70s in a job i really loved, but now
that is not to be and it's back to entry level, again...~{
jon