>> it does give on pause to wonder about the
>> situation where a democratic election may place people to whom democracy
>> is disposable in power. I guess it's a string argument for rigid
>> Constitutional rule.

> I'm not sure how rigid constitutional rule would be able to stop a determined
> leader with control of the military and the support of even 25% of the people.

Obviously no guarantee is given, but the idea is the one employed in the
U.S - directing loyalty to the country and constitution rather than
government or executive.

As history demonstrates it doesn't always work but does provide a
rallying point for resistance and a structure within which to work for
the re-establishment of subverted authority.

I don't claim it's THE answer, but it does have an argument for being a
positive preparation to the danger of electing the undemocratically minded.