On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 9:59 PM, Julia Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Anathem (I mistyped an -a before) is about 900 pages, but
>> after the first 80 pages or so the action picks up and it
>> did not drag at all for me. I'd say it is somewhere in
>> between Snow Crash and the Baroque Cycle books as far as
>> balance between action and exposition.
>
> I haven't read the Baroque Cycle.  If anyone has read Snow Crash,
> Cryptonomicon and Anathem, I'd be interested in some sort of comparison
> between the three.  (Give me some time and I'll be making it myself,
> though.)

 I've read those three without reading the Baroque Cycle so I will
try. Snow Crash is a brilliant piece of adventure cyberpunk ten years
after anyone was taking it seriously. He then played in the
post-cyberpunk world before writing Cryptonomicom, a sort of Slashdot
version of the 20th Century. Anathem is what Cryptonomicom would be if
it covered the whole of Western civilisaton from Plato onwards.

 Basically if you like Cryptonomicom plus Snow Crash you will like Anathem.

 Martin