David Hobby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Well, she's a fembot, she's SUPPOSED to have
> android sex.

Isn't that, ummm, speciest? DNA'ist? Why can't she
have sex with a human? :-)

> Would that be Hamilton's _The Dreaming Void_?

No, "The Temporal Void", the sequel to Dreaming.
amazon.co.uk should be "dispatching" it on Oct 3.

>   I guess I like Hamilton, but can't
> figure out why.

For me, I like his invented technologies, most of
his characters, and I can never resist a great action
plot. Also, the Raiel are a wonderful creation.

> Don't get me wrong, Cryptonomicon has some good parts.
> I'm just not sure they justify the length.

I think that some authors, after becoming successful, have
that problem. I guess that most SF authors write a lot of words
about their world, but early on either the authors, or
their editors, cut out a lot of the unnecessary parts. After a
big hit or two, it seems the knife gets misplaced.

> It could be that The Atrocity Archives is best
> appreciated if you know a lot of theoretical computer
> science, so I'll withhold comment.

Did Stross come from a CS background? When you say theoretical
computer science, do you mean something like Knuth or Sedgewick?
Or further back, like von Neumann?