Doug said:

>> About sixty thousand pages of history, I'd estimate. Not nearly
>> enough, anyway.
>
> Well that sounds like a hell of a lot to me.  I've read a bit of
> American
> history, especially the Civil War, but I don't have the kind of
> command of
> the facts that you do on what you've studied (especially with my
> library
> still in boxes).

It would be a lot if I'd focused on one period but I've been trying to
at least make an attempt to cover all regions and periods fairly
evenly (despite my innate bias towards Romans and Egyptians). The
rough map of history I drew a few years ago(*) has around 90 such
region-period boxes on it so on average I've only read around six or
seven hundred pages on each. On quite a lot of them I've read
*nothing*. And that map doesn't even show south-east Asia, most of
Africa, the Pacific and Australia or the Americas, nor does it include
such short-lived but not entirely negligible polities as the British
Empire, the Soviet Union or the United States of America.

Rich

(*) http://www.theculture.org/rich/sharpblue/archives/000147.html