On 1 Aug 2009, at 22:14, David Hobby wrote:

William T Goodall wrote:
DVD region codes. NTSC or PAL? Stereo or 5.1? Dolby or DTS? Component or HDMI? Upscale to 720P or 1080i?

William--  I agree with you on some, and want to add an
item.

DVD region codes:  Not in the consumer's interest.  I wound up buying
my wife a multiregion DVD player, just so we could watch German DVDs.

All my DVD players are multi-region. This is pretty standard in the UK.

NTSC vs. PAL:  Not a fair criticism.  That mess was created a LONG
time ago, and was also a problem with VHS tapes.  (A bigger problem,
since the players were analog.)

Even with HD the frame rate (50Hz/60hz) is still different between NTSC and PAL. (NTSC and PAL have nothing to do with HD being analog formats but the 50/60 Hz is the same so the labels have stuck). My home theatre DVD upscaling DVD player autoconverts these depending whether I have the output set to NTSC or PAL. Since my TV can sync at either 50Hz or 60Hz HD I have to change this setting to watch PAL/ NTSC DVDs in "native" format and avoid conversion which is a lossy process.

The others you list:  It's still possible to just go with the defaults
there.

If the default is stereo I lose the benefit of my 800W 5.1 speaker system :) And if there is a Dolby and a DTS soundtrack I have to manually select the (better) DTS soundtrack.

That non-bypassable FBI and/or Interpol warning:  This is actually
a loss for DVDs.  With VHS, you could ALWAYS fast-forward.  Why
aren't there hacks to skip the start-up warnings on DVDs?

                                ---David

--
William T Goodall
Mail : w...@wtgab.demon.co.uk

Every Sunday Christians congregate to drink blood in honour of their zombie master.