William T Goodall wrote:

On 1 Aug 2009, at 22:14, David Hobby wrote:

William T Goodall wrote:
NTSC vs. PAL:  Not a fair criticism.  That mess was created a LONG
time ago, and was also a problem with VHS tapes.  (A bigger problem,
since the players were analog.)

Even with HD the frame rate (50Hz/60hz) is still different between NTSC and PAL. (NTSC and PAL have nothing to do with HD being analog formats but the 50/60 Hz is the same so the labels have stuck). My home theatre DVD upscaling DVD player autoconverts these depending whether I have the output set to NTSC or PAL. Since my TV can sync at either 50Hz or 60Hz HD I have to change this setting to watch PAL/NTSC DVDs in "native" format and avoid conversion which is a lossy process.

The others you list:  It's still possible to just go with the defaults
there.

If the default is stereo I lose the benefit of my 800W 5.1 speaker system :) And if there is a Dolby and a DTS soundtrack I have to manually select the (better) DTS soundtrack.

William--

The above seem to be minor tweaks to get the best
output?  The original complaint was about DVD vs VHS,
so we might have wandered from the topic...

                                ---David