John  wrote:

> The point is, because of his actions, we do not know and cannot know.
> Considering the vast amounts of other people's money that he has spent
> and the great moral hazard that he has created, the responsible thing
> to have done would have been to have carefully studied the situation,
> looking at what would actually happen, while simultaneously preparing
> contingency plans it case intervention was deemed necessary after
> careful study.

I have to go back to the burning building analogy.  If you sit there
and study the situation for a while, in all likelihood the window of
opportunity to actually prevent the disaster will pass before you
determine what it is you think might work.

In any case, since you have no faith in economists, who would you have
study the situation?

Doug