On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 6:32 PM, Bruce Bostwick<lihan161...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Sep 6, 2009, at 8:11 PM, John Williams wrote:

>>> Name them.
>>
>> You mean name the bottom 50% of all taxpayers? I don't have enough
>> space to do that in this email, but check the tables here, for
>> example:
>>
>> http://www.taxfoundation.org/news/show/250.html
>>
>> In 2007, there was $1.115 trillion collected in federal income taxes.
>> The top 50% of taxpayers paid $1.083 trillion, or 97.1% of taxes
>> collected. The IRS tables I found don't break it down for the bottom
>> 50%, but obviously there is a percentile under 50, probably above 40,
>> where there are no federal income taxes paid.
>>
>> Of course there are other taxes. But there is certainly another
>> percentile where net aid exceeds the other taxes paid. And there are
>> millions of Americans below that percentile.
>
> Yes, federal income tax is, theoretically at least, a progressive-rate tax.
>  I think everyone here knows that.
>
> There's a good reason for that.

I'm not sure why you brought this up. I certainly don't disagree with
most of what you wrote. Perhaps you were not following the discussion
between Rob and myself, where he suggested that those who do not pay
US taxes should not receive health care?

> Above the rapidly vanishing middle class. the theoretically higher-rate
> brackets can afford to hire tax attorneys and accountants whose specialty is
> finding ways to avoid tax liability, legally in most cases, so the actual
> revenue collected falls off fairly rapidly above that level.

That is incorrect. In 2007, the top 1% paid 40% of the federal income
taxes, the top 5% paid 61%, and the top 10% paid 71% of taxes. If the
middle class is 25%-75%, then the upper class, top 25%, paid a
whopping 87% of federal income taxes.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/news/show/250.html