Adam et al,

Milky raises a valid point, and one that I seem to remember airing with
Chris late on Saturday night (at least I hope it was him). He may have
been elected to change the Tour, but that doesn’t mean he should make
changes without consulting the teams it affects. We have every
confidence in Chris coming up with a workable plan, but there's no
reason he shouldn't bounce those ideas off those directly affected,
include good suggestions in the plan or modify it when consensus
dictates it should be modified - so that we end up with a better plan in
the end.

For example we discussed the possibility of widening the Top 8 and Chris
(playing devil's advocate) was suggesting if it were a Top 16 maybe all
those top 16 should be involved in the initial pools. While the
competition outside the Top 8 (as well as within it) has definitely
improved, IMHO there is still enough of a gulf between 1 and 8 (I think
C2 were the only team to reach double figures against us this weekend..)
that for the top few teams to be playing seeds 9-16 would be fairly
pointless. As it stands the Tours are fantastic breeding grounds for
competitive games - there doesn't seem to be any reason to return to the
old days of wasted Saturdays. Do we want to undo all that we've achieved
with the Top8 format? We'd be mad...especially with EUCC just round the
corner in 2005. We should be concentrating on giving those teams going
to EUCC the best chance we can, not making them play Hammerage and
RedDog weekend after weekend (names chosen explicitly because I have
friends on both teams and hope they won't take offence).

So - maybe there should be a yahoogroup for those interested, or people
could just mail Chris and be put on a cc list. Either way surely there
should be some involvement from other people more official and
representative than 'chat to him over a beer'? That doesn't give anyone
a chance to comment on suggestions and have those comments commented on
etc etc as you move towards a solution everyone's happy with. Instead so
I take it we're supposed to wait until Chris decides whether to make it
a Britdisc issue? Or wait until February next year when it's all too
late to comment anyway?

More controversially - maybe we should limit the Top Division in 2004 to
the Geo teams only? With EUCC in 2005 round the corner only geo teams
will likely be allowed to enter
(http://eucc.frisbee.cz/go/en/in/tinfo/?d=&cil=eligibility ):

1. Definition of a club team:
"A team comprised of players, who have not for the last three months
prior to the European Ultimate Club Championship tournament played,
competed and entered into competitive tournaments with any other team
and who reside in the same geographic locality."

Having non-geo teams in the 2004 Top Division would therefore only: a)
muddy the water vis-à-vis Tour points (the likely way the 2005 EUCC
entrants will be chosen) as they fail to turn out with consistent teams,
and b) reduce the amount of valuable games the geo teams training for
2005 will get.

Anyway, summer league calls me...

Roger
CU #1

PS If anyone underestimates the degree to which non-geo teams are
messing up other teams' tours then imagine you're a Druid (pick your
coffee mug back up...) - you've got to your first semi of the season and
are delighted - only to realize that at Tour 4 you're in a pool with
Clapham 1, oh and Bristol, oh and, wait a minute, Chevvy South. If
Chevvy South bring a full un-winjured squad and can be bothered to play
Druids after they've lost to Clapham 1 - Druids semifinal place must
look shaky against a team which has finished 1st and 3rd with a full
complement (and crucially without the Druids getting to play a 5th or
6th place team to get there). Are we prepared to let this kind of
unpredictable yo-yoing dictate who gets to EUCC 2005? It won't affect my
team - I'm saying this out of the altruistic desire to see Sharks pip
Druids for the last EUCC spot by one point - but a fair point at least,
not a point earned because some telephone team couldn't be bothered to
play them in the last game!

PPS - Alex Campbell:
> I do recognise this a fault
Don’t beat yourself up too much Alex. In every other respect the
tournament was brilliant. The fields were superb and little things like
the bins by most fields really helped make it feel like one of the
best-run tournies I've been to - getting to be on a par with Rimini or a
Worlds event in terms of presentability to the press. Congratulations.
If only I could get our lot to wear the matching red shorts....;-)