Alex, BD,

As I heard it: Beginners rule of thumb is that they must not have played
competitive ultimate for longer than 3 months, I'm not quoting anything but
its always been an unwritten law from everyone I've spoken to.

Allowing Juniors to compete would be unfair on the beginners as they would
be more experienced.  The tie with Beginners events and Universities is
coincidental as Universities tend to be the places where there are most
beginners.

The trend in beginners' events this year has been to allow non-student
beginner teams as well to make the tournament name more accurate and open to
more new-starters.  It also allows more scope to play different people and
get the most experience from 1 weekend possible.  My point being that there
is a strong difference between what Beginners Tournaments are and what you
are implying a "Freshers Tournament" would be.

I also think that quality of ultimate is not the key to successful beginners
tournaments, the success is in getting plenty of pitch time and a well
organised event so new players can just get on with enjoying it and
learning.  I think it would be quite demoralising for the majority of new
players to be thrown in a tournament with players who have been playing 6
months-1 year as even in that short time difference the skills and awareness
levels have greatly increased.  In my opinion, beginners need to play
amongst other beginners to experience the most possible.

As an aside, a large portion of Purple Haze's new intake last year were not
freshers but second years, no-one (except maybe me!!) wants to be tarred
with the "Fresher" brush more than one year in their lives!!!

Just my thoughts, not my clubs blah blah...

Wiggy

Purple Haze