I like the idea of beginner tournaments being exactly that, not Freshers'.
The number of junior tournaments is increasing again so I can't see any
point in radically changing something that is working well. However, I think
it would be interesting if someone tried something a little different with a
beginners' tournament. They all use the same rule of only having one
experienced player on the pitch, and that player cannot score, but can
assist.

One way to expand this slightly would be to allow another category of player
to be on the pitch as well. I always feel for the players that often start
at University, but not right at the start in time for the beginner
tournaments. It's also tough on those that have been playing about 4 months
and are excluded from beginner tournaments unless they play as the
experienced player.

My suggestion would be to try the following: one experienced player (played
for a year or more) who may not score or even assist, one semi experienced
player (played for more than 3 months, but less than a year) who cannot
score, and the other 3 (or more) on the pitch being beginners. Now I realise
this may seem complicated and require different silly hats / togas to
distinguish experience, but it may be worth a try. With 3 established
beginner tournaments in the Autumn term, surely someone could try something
a little different?

Kevin.
---