From one of the questions on the questionnaire...

"Some tournaments should be competitive and others should be just for fun"

Maybe this is just me being pedantic but...

How the hell do you play a sport without being competitive?

I've tried to think of one and I just cant work it out. Presumably these are the same people who play Monopoly with dumb made up "Free Parking wins shitloads of cash" rules, or who play scrabble with the express aim of putting down the word "shit" and drawing a bellylaugh of approval from the other players (7 points, and usually wasting an S - not good tactics, and not side splittingly funny so dont bother. If you must then hold out for todgers and I'll smile, applaud and give you 59 points, but otherwise just play properly). Not sure they count as sports though.

If you are going to play a sport, play to win. Dont cheat, because then that's not the sport. Play to win, then you'll have fun playing, win or lose. Pretty simple really. And competitive.

And while we're at it, I think this is one thing we could do to improve our sport. We could stop teaching beginners that our sport is non-competitive and letting it be tailored to those individuals at Uni who are only playing because they're rubbish at everything else and think they have to join some society. We play because Ultimate is fun to play and Ultimate players are fun to be with, surely thats enough. Of course everyone is important, and we should cater for all levels of player, but even at the lowest levels they should be running on the pitch and catching goals in the end zone (and yes I am aware that I haven't done that for a while).

Please stop using "competitive" as if it were a bad thing. Lets talk about ranking tournaments v fun tournaments or something like that.

Yeah I'm probably just feeling a bit grumpy and should have let it go, never mind,

Dave.