That's applying double standards!! No way should a team get fined (or whatever) when a team that isn't as good can get away with it... I didn't say we shouldn't try and fix anything, but is kit really the most important of everything I listed? Barry and Matt (i.e. the other people who commented) don't seem to think so. Kit isn't different/above the other things, there are explicit rules about being offside/taking too long between points etc. If image when stepping on to the pitch is the most important thing, then I for one had better retire cos I've been spoiling it for a long time! Jaimie Jon Palmer writes:
Why is it ok for some B Tour teams, and less important for those teams
that
don't make the A-Tour semis?

We can cut some teams some slack in the B tour because there are more new
teams there, there are more pickup'ish teams there players move/change teams
in the B tour. Fewer people watch or publish photos of the B tour. Plus it
would be a mistake to restrict the growth of the sport at the B tour level
by placing extremely rigid financial constraints on all of those players.
Looking the part is important in for A teams in the A tour, but particularly
for teams in the quarters, semis and finals because those are the games that
are most likely to be watched by non-ultimate players, more likely to be
photographed and more likely to be filmed. Plus these games are supposed to
involve the most committed players our sport has to offer.
If you want to raise the issue of professionalism, how about everybody
being
offside when the pull goes up, or NOBODY knowing all the rules, or
everbody
taking too long between points, or everybody standing/leaving their
kit/bags/chairs next to the sideline, or standing infront of the
scoreboard,
or having a beer/spliff inbetween games, or faking the other teams
signature
on the score sheet, or not paying the entry fee by the deadline (or it
getting 'lost' in the post!!) etc etc etc

Couldn't agree more. All of those things are a problem. Since when did we
decided to adopt such a defeatist attitude that there are so many problems
that we shouldn't bother to try to fix even one of them?
The difference with the Kit issue is that there are explicit rules in the
UKUA tour Rules about kit and they aren't being enforced. If you want to
introduce rules on where you put you bags on the sideline, or drugs &
alcohol testing you'll get no argument from me.

We're not professional, and we sure as hell don't act like it.

Then we should do what ever is reasonable to act like it.
One or two
players wearing the wrong shirt is not a big deal. Let the UKUA
concentrate
on the big picture, or stand for election as "Director with responsibility
for kit". ;)

What is more 'big picture' than the image we present of our sport when we
step onto the field?
http://www.tom-styles.co.uk/ultimate/photos/2005-Tour3-FirevsClapham/target7
.html
Now that would be a pretty nice photo from the tour final if only is wasn't
spoilt by the lack of kit. We can and should do better. JP

Jaimie Jon Palmer writes:
> BD,
>
> Tour 3 was the first time I've played the A tour this season. I was
appalled
> at the number of teams playing the A tour that weren't wearing matching
kit
> in accordance with the Tour rules:
>
> http://www.ukultimate.com/open/tour_rules.aspx#Kit
>
> We can probably agree to cut some teams in the B tour some slack but
teams
> in the A tour? Teams playing in the semis and finals of what is supposed
> be the UKUA's showcase events? Does the UKUA intend on enforcing the kit
> rules or are the there purely for show?
>
> Many people, myself included, had family and friends spectating at Tour
3.
> It's embarrassing to our sport that we can not present our selves in a
> professional way. If we are serious about promoting our sport and
growing it
> to its full potential then we must make sure to get our image right.
Teams
> being lazy about their kit isn't good enough. Spectators and staff at
the
> venues notice these things, we post photos of events online for the
world to
> see. Our image is important, let's do better at Tour 4 and Nationals.
>
> JP

Jaimie Cross
General Secretary
#1 LeedsLeedsLeeds