On Mon, Sep 14, 2026 at 01:16:15PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > * there is no reason why a user would want a specific encoding, as
> >   interaction with Info is through software, so using one that is
> >   practical and can render any character is a good thing 
> 
> Using characters UTF-8 doesn't support is one (albeit rare) case.

Doesn't UTF-8 support all the characters?  In general, it is the other
way around, some characters are not supported by some other encodings.

> Another use case is reading the Info file with a pager on a terminal
> that cannot show UTF-8, or in general using the Info file in a
> non-UTF-8 locale, where stuff like Grep might produce mojibake or fail
> to find non-ASCII text entirely.

These are valid cases, but I think that the reverse is getting more and
more likely, that terminal show only UTF-8, that locales are more and
more UTF-8 and so on.  And for these valid cases, it is still possible
to set OUTPUT_ENCODING_NAME.

> In general, removing features that were supported for a long time is
> IMO harsh and should be rarely if ever done.  But that's me.

It could also be considered that normalizing to UTF-8 is a kind of
feature nowadays that UTF-8 is everywhere.

> More generally, you asked for opinions, and I provided one.  I hope
> it's helpful in some way.

In any case I will let the last word to Gavin.

-- 
Pat

Reply via email to