> Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2026 21:12:09 +0200
> From: Patrice Dumas <[email protected]>
> Cc: [email protected]
> 
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2026 at 02:15:18PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > That problem is up to the author of the Texinfo source, so we don't
> > have to worry about it.  I was thinking about Texinfo source written
> > in some encoding which might not be entirely convertible to Unicode.
> 
> Ok.  As a side note, an encoding usable for Info needs to be
> ASCII-compatible, because the coding variable is at the end of a file
> and tag table and other identifier need to be in ASCII (I only realized
> that very recently, actually).  Therefore it would need to be an
> ASCII-compatible encoding that is not convertible to Unicode.

Yes, of course.  No EBCDIC etc.

> > > And for these valid cases, it is still possible to set
> > > OUTPUT_ENCODING_NAME.
> > 
> > Which is a nuisance (supported only by recent versions of Texinfo),
> 
> It exists since 5.0, though I do not know what effect it has for Info
> output for all the version between 5.0 and recent versions.
> 
> > and not easy to discover.
> 
> I agree that, in general, customization variables are not so easy to
> discover even though they are all documented.

Maybe this option should be mentioned where @documentencoding is
described, for better discoverability?

Reply via email to