On Tue, Sep 15, 2026 at 02:15:18PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> That problem is up to the author of the Texinfo source, so we don't
> have to worry about it.  I was thinking about Texinfo source written
> in some encoding which might not be entirely convertible to Unicode.

Ok.  As a side note, an encoding usable for Info needs to be
ASCII-compatible, because the coding variable is at the end of a file
and tag table and other identifier need to be in ASCII (I only realized
that very recently, actually).  Therefore it would need to be an
ASCII-compatible encoding that is not convertible to Unicode.  For some
other formats (probably the formats other than LaTeX), it is possible to
switch to a non-ASCII compatible encoding after @documentencoding, but
not for Info, I think.

> > And for these valid cases, it is still possible to set
> > OUTPUT_ENCODING_NAME.
> 
> Which is a nuisance (supported only by recent versions of Texinfo),

It exists since 5.0, though I do not know what effect it has for Info
output for all the version between 5.0 and recent versions.

> and not easy to discover.

I agree that, in general, customization variables are not so easy to
discover even though they are all documented.

-- 
Pat

Reply via email to