2008/5/20 Denys Vlasenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> On Tuesday 20 May 2008 18:07, Roberto A. Foglietta wrote:
>>  I am not sure about him but mine /etc/inittab does not carry any
>> tty[2-5] but it showed the same messages and linking /dev/tty[2-5]
>> against /dev/null was the first workaround which shut up the busybox.
>> If it could be of any help my system is a UMLinux but before launching
>> it I unset the DISPLAY environment variable:
>>
>> http://lugge.wikidot.com/tar2loop
>>
>>  and the used busybox is the last version 1.10.2, config could be
>> retrieved here:
>>
>> http://lugge.wikidot.com/local--files/tar2loop/busybox.config
>>
>>  here the /etc/inittab:
>>
>> # This is run first except when booting in single-user mode
>> #
>> ::sysinit:/etc/rc.sh
>>
>> # /bin/sh invocations on selected ttys
>> #
>> # Start an "askfirst" shell on the console (whatever that may be)
>> ::askfirst:-/bin/sh
>> # Start an "askfirst" shell on /dev/tty2-4
>> #tty2::askfirst:-/bin/sh
>> #tty3::askfirst:-/bin/sh
>> #tty4::askfirst:-/bin/sh
>>
>> # Stuff to do when restarting the init process
>> ::restart:/sbin/init
>>
>> # Stuff to do before rebooting
>> ::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/reboot
>> ::shutdown:/etc/shutdown
>
> I guess you have CONFIG_FEATURE_USE_INITTAB off,
> and your /etc/inittab just gets ignored.

# bbconfig | grep -i INITTAB
CONFIG_FEATURE_USE_INITTAB=y

printouts without any /dev/tty5:

line_ioctl: tty0: unknown ioctl: 0x541e
init: can't log to /dev/tty5
init started: BusyBox v1.10.2 (2008-05-16 19:01:32 CEST)
init: can't log to /dev/tty5

printouts with a regular /dev/tty5

Please press Enter to activate this console.
xterm_open: $DISPLAY not set.
Failed to open console 5, err = -19
xterm_open: $DISPLAY not set.
Failed to open console 5, err = -19
xterm_open: $DISPLAY not set.
Failed to open console 5, err = -19
xterm_open: $DISPLAY not set.
Failed to open console 5, err = -19
xterm_open: $DISPLAY not set.
Failed to open console 5, err = -19
init: can't log to /dev/tty5
starting pid 658, tty '': '-/bin/sh'

# ls -al /dev/tty5
crw-r--r--    1 0        0          4,   5 May 21 07:02 /dev/tty5

in order to shut up the busybox I have to still link /dev/null to /dev/tty5

It is fine for me do that because it is a dummy virtual machine

If you like to receive more feedback or suggest different
configuration options I will try and feedback.

http://lugge.wikidot.com/local--files/tar2loop/busybox.config

 Cheers,
--
/roberto