On Tuesday 20 May 2008 18:07, Roberto A. Foglietta wrote:
> 2008/5/20 Alessandro Rubini <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >> Can't open /dev/tty4: No such file or directory
> >> Can't open /dev/tty2: No such device or address
> >> Can't open /dev/tty3: No such device or address
> >
> > /dev/tty2 and /dev/tty3 exist on the filesystem but there is no associated
> > driver (no display, no text terminal). /dev/tty4 is not existing in the
> > filesystem.
> >
> >>  The error message will show again and again.
> >
> > You should fix your inittab so init won't try to run the getty process
> > on those devices.
>
>  I am not sure about him but mine /etc/inittab does not carry any
> tty[2-5] but it showed the same messages and linking /dev/tty[2-5]
> against /dev/null was the first workaround which shut up the busybox.
> If it could be of any help my system is a UMLinux but before launching
> it I unset the DISPLAY environment variable:

You did not show the "same message":

On Wednesday 21 May 2008 09:08, Roberto A. Foglietta wrote:
> # bbconfig | grep -i INITTAB
> CONFIG_FEATURE_USE_INITTAB=y
>
> printouts without any /dev/tty5:
>
> VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.
> line_ioctl: tty0: unknown ioctl: 0x541e
> init: can't log to /dev/tty5
> init started: BusyBox v1.10.2 (2008-05-16 19:01:32 CEST)
> init: can't log to /dev/tty5
>
> printouts with a regular /dev/tty5
>
> Please press Enter to activate this console.
> xterm_open: $DISPLAY not set.
> Failed to open console 5, err = -19
> xterm_open: $DISPLAY not set.
> Failed to open console 5, err = -19

This is a *different message*.

bbox init with CONFIG_FEATURE_INIT_SYSLOG off outputs
error messages to /dev/tty5. This is not new.
Although I do not understand why is it so. Looks strangely arbitrary...
do we need to change that? How?

Regarding "xterm_open": this is definitely does not come from busybox,
you run some application which expects to be run from X.
--
vda