2008/5/21 Denys Vlasenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>> > /dev/tty2 and /dev/tty3 exist on the filesystem but there is no associated
>> > driver (no display, no text terminal). /dev/tty4 is not existing in the
>> > filesystem.

>> > You should fix your inittab so init won't try to run the getty process
>> > on those devices.
>>
>>  I am not sure about him but mine /etc/inittab does not carry any
>> tty[2-5] but it showed the same messages and linking /dev/tty[2-5]
>> against /dev/null was the first workaround which shut up the busybox.
>> If it could be of any help my system is a UMLinux but before launching
>> it I unset the DISPLAY environment variable:
>
> You did not show the "same message":

 Yes I messed up the time correlation events :

 a) see the same messages
 b) I made links to /dev/null
 c) I commented out ttys in inittab
 d) restored original ttyN devices
 e) still have warning about tty5

 In fact I wrote "... was the first workaround which shut up the ..."
because I was just acknowledged that about tty5 busybox still warning
loudly even using a proper inittab. I am sorry my message was not as
much precise as it would be.

> On Wednesday 21 May 2008 09:08, Roberto A. Foglietta wrote:
>> # bbconfig | grep -i INITTAB
>> CONFIG_FEATURE_USE_INITTAB=y
>>
>> printouts without any /dev/tty5:
>>
>> VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.
>> line_ioctl: tty0: unknown ioctl: 0x541e
>> init: can't log to /dev/tty5
>> init started: BusyBox v1.10.2 (2008-05-16 19:01:32 CEST)
>> init: can't log to /dev/tty5
>>
>> printouts with a regular /dev/tty5
>>
>> Please press Enter to activate this console.
>> xterm_open: $DISPLAY not set.
>> Failed to open console 5, err = -19
>> xterm_open: $DISPLAY not set.
>> Failed to open console 5, err = -19
>
> This is a *different message*.
>
> bbox init with CONFIG_FEATURE_INIT_SYSLOG off outputs
> error messages to /dev/tty5. This is not new.
> Although I do not understand why is it so. Looks strangely arbitrary...
> do we need to change that? How?

 Sorry, what appear strangely arbitrary? and change what? I always use
1.0.x and 1.2.x version of busybox and this is the first time I am
using "new" busybox. I think is natural having to familiarize with new
bb and its options.

> Regarding "xterm_open": this is definitely does not come from busybox,
> you run some application which expects to be run from X.

 Yes it depends on User Mode Linux.

 Cheers,
--
/roberto