2008/5/21 Denys Vlasenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> On Wednesday 21 May 2008 10:27, Roberto A. Foglietta wrote:
>> > bbox init with CONFIG_FEATURE_INIT_SYSLOG off outputs
>> > error messages to /dev/tty5. This is not new.
>> > Although I do not understand why is it so. Looks strangely arbitrary...
>> > do we need to change that? How?
>> >

>>  Sorry, what appear strangely arbitrary? and change what? I always use
>> 1.0.x and 1.2.x version of busybox and this is the first time I am
>> using "new" busybox. I think is natural having to familiarize with new
>> bb and its options.
>
> I mean - this "log to vc #5" behavior seems to be arbitrary.
> Why vc #5 and not #6? Why vc and not serial line? and so on.
>
> You just got bitten by this arbitrariness. Good moment to think
> what can be a better behavior.
>
> Would you like init to just log to console - say, fd #2 which
> is passed to init by the kernel?

 IMHO passing arbitrary arguments to kernel in not standard board
could not an easy thing.

 I would prefer choose by:

 1) config in which console logs fall in case syslog is not initialized.
 2) previous one choose could be overwritten by a special inittab line
 3) previous twos could be overwritten by kernel line arguments with
syslog=ttyN or syslog=ttySn

 and fd #2 kernel argument seem too less auto-explicative.

 I hope this helps,
--
/roberto