On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 4:18 PM, Harald Becker <ra...@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 01-03-2013 15:51 Denys Vlasenko <vda.li...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>Please understand my position.
>
>>Maintaining three copies of LZMA (de)compressors with
>>virtually identical performance would be a mistake.
>
> You are still right, but there is one big difference: lzip has a
> compressor in Busybox not only a decompressor. lzma and xz are only
> decompressors and it is handy to have same available in cases where you
> hit one of those files and you do not have access to the full package.

What percentage of bbox users would want to produce .lzip files?
It isn't a widely used format.

bbox didn't have even bzip2 compressor for a long time.

> Beside this I prefer lzip due to its full implementation in Busybox ...
> or are you going to add an xz compressor in Busybox?

Yes, adding xz compressor is a good idea.

> And in addition, if you do not like to have all those decompressors in
> your Busybox binary, you can disable your dislikes in the config.

This does not remove the need to maintain the code.
More code = more bugs.
Rarely used code = bugs stay unfixed for a longer time.

> There are people who like to have a full compressor/decompressor
> in Busybox, performing better than gzip/bzip2.

xz compressor then.

--
vda