Some of the pros do as follows: ( be sure that you read steps 4 & 5 before
proceeding )-
1. Purchase a tall & sturdy "Graduated Cylinder" from a chemical supply house,
yes, expensive in glass. Maybe our resident Chemist on the 146.94 repeater
could help....
This needs to have fine markings, not just every 100 ML as the cheaper ones do.
The 500 ML cylinder or greater is the norm.
2. Attach a large funnel ( yet not overly large ) with or without a 'debris'
screen above the cylinder. Thick plastic is the norm, yet UV safe ( black as a
rule ).
3. Mount the three items above in a place that is not covered by trees or other
obstructions above, nor subject to updraft wind ( this means away from their
homes by more than 15 feet ).
4. Calculate the actual area of the funnel and apply some math to 'calibrate'
the cylinder, or compare to others in the area for a few months ( the easier &
less scientific method ).
Hint: Use the number 3.1415926 ( Pi ) and the appropriate formula with
conversion factors for millimeters, millileters ( not quarts) , and inches. 1
inch is 2.54 centimeters.
Pies are round, Pi Radius Squared may help you.
5. Empty the gauge each day by inverting the system. Think about how you mount
the cylinder and how well the funnel is attached. This is the worst part unless
you are very dedicated...

That makes the 'seesaw' type look better for non-commercial or non-government
types.

( Try Vaisala Systems if money is not an issue, tell 'em the guy who referred
you used Surface Systems Inc. ( later called Quixote systems ) weather station
equipment including Price Precip. sensors ).
BTW- Price Precipitation sensors may no longer be in business. There were
better systems that were less fragile...

Jon L. Livingston, Electronics Technician

17722 Fieldglen Drive ( SE of FM 529 & Barker Cypress Road )

Houston, Texas 77084

jkli...@comcast.net

General Radiotelephone license PGGB062294

CET Wireless Communications WCM-R185658

Amateur Radio license KB0MNM

www.linkedin.com/in/jon-livingston for latest resume- needs updates...

Previously employed by MnDOT and serviced approx. 12 Roadway Weather
Information Systems in late fall to early winter- why? Farmer-plowed dirt at
harvest time obscured visibility sensors until cleaned.