This is to follow up on my experience with Greg and Jeff CenterPoint, who came
by my shack shortly after the weather emergency to look into my QRM issues.

First of all, Jeff is indeed retiring and Greg is taking over the reigns. They
called me to arrange a visit. There is only one person in the company to cover
QRM issues in the entire area, so if you have an issue, you will be talking
with Greg.

When they got there they listened to the noises I was getting on all my bands,
then they hooked up their noise analyzer to my antenna and verified what they
were hearing. This was not an oscilloscope or a spectrum analyzer, but a
specialized scope for viewing the noise in a standard fashion. Based on the
particular band on which we could hear the issue, they could conclude whether
the offender was likely nearer or farther away.

I showed them the antenna in my back yard, though they really did not need to
see it. They had already verified there was an issue and loaded back into their
vehicle for a drive around to monitor with the mobile detector and narrow down
the location of the problem. They took a minute to show me their equipment.
They had a “fox hunt” device to use when they get close, and a parabolic
listener which they sometimes use to hear sounds like sparking etc.

About 15 minutes after they left, Greg phoned me to have me listen while Jeff
kicked the pole. I heard nothing, but they identified an issue with a lightning
arrestor about two blocks away. At this time I am waiting for CenterPoint to
fix the issue. I will be surprised if that is is my issue, but I am glad they
located an offender.

Overall, had great experience with these guys. It was pretty cool seeing how
they worked. It is really helpful to investigate any issue before they arrive.
According to ARRL, you may only get one swipe at solving the problem, so it is
best to be prepared. That said, these fellows could not have been more helpful.

Mark
N5PRD

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: Doug SEYLER via BVARC <bvarc@bvarc.org <mailto:bvarc@bvarc.org>>
> Subject: Re: [BVARC] QRM in new radio setup
> Date: February 7, 2021 at 3:36:02 PM CST
> To: BRAZOS VALLEY AMATEUR RADIO CLUB <bvarc@bvarc.org
> <mailto:bvarc@bvarc.org>>
> Cc: Doug SEYLER <djsey...@comcast.net <mailto:djsey...@comcast.net>>
> <mailto:bvarc@bvarc.org>>
>
> No charge
>
> Doug W9LCQ
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On Feb 7, 2021, at 1:39 PM, Mark Brantana via BVARC <bvarc@bvarc.org
>> <mailto:bvarc@bvarc.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Thank you! Any chance they would change me for the work?
>> Mark
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Feb 7, 2021, at 1:36 PM, jclupp...@ussailing.net
>>> <mailto:jclupp...@ussailing.net> wrote:
>>>

>>> Jeff Hoke was in the process of retiring and I believe he is no longer
>>> there. He was training his replacement though, his name is Gregory Young.
>>>
>>> gregory.yo...@centerpointenergy.com
>>> <mailto:gregory.yo...@centerpointenergy.com>
>>> Office: 713-945-6555
>>> Mobil: 832-715-0549
>>>
>>> If you can get him to come out he has all the same equipment and can run a
>>> spectrum analysis that could possibly help.
>>> Hope that helps.
>>>
>>> Chris Luppens

>>> N5PRD