On 07/30/2007 04:45 PM, Sean Burns wrote:
> Cable Internet service isn't available where I'll soon be living.  I'll
> have DSL.  It's been a few years since I've had DSL.  Is there anything
> I need to know regarding setting that up on Linux or is it "plug and
> play", so to speak, like cable is?

Depends on the hardware and your ISP.  Back in the day, I had a static
IP and DHCP to my ISP, so no need for PPPoE (cue Adrian Cronauer :).
All it took was phone to modem to firewall/router.  These days it may be
more complex.  In theory all that's needed is firewall/router/modem/DHCP
server/NAT combo box.  On the LAN side it should be accessible and
configurable from a web browser.  On the WAN side, there's just the
phone line.  Reality may be different, however.  Dan may know more about
the details.

One of the students got DSL via ATT.  So, I'm trying it out myself.
I'll post what I discover.  If you do the same, we'll be able to build a
nice knowledge base.

Regards,
- Robert