http://book.cakephp.org/view/1057/Model-Attributes is a good place to start.

you can configure in most circumstances cake to talk to any old database -
you just end up losing some of the magic and writing more code as a result.

for a model which does not comply with the convention you will at least need
to:

1) define the table name ($useTable)
2) define the primary key ($primaryKey)
3) define the display name ($displayName)

you'll also need to provide more verbose settings in the model associations
in order to get them to play nice...