I do not see any problem in what you describe above. I understand that it is
comfortable to use the naming conventions whenever you can, but that should
not stop you from using CakePHP with an existing database that does not care
about these conventions.
CakePHP follows conventions *over *configuration but that does not mean you
can't configure. You will probably have to touch all model files manually,
but wouldn't you do that anyway along your development path?
You can set table names, keys and so on and so forth... you will probably
have a little slower start, that's all.
If you run into concrete problems you will surely find good answers here!

regards Jens