I've been looking into this problem.  Basically the idea is to look through
one column in one table and see if the string matches the search string.
 The string searches the last names of a person.  So if the search string is
'Smith', the following values are expected to be caught up in the dragnet:
'Smith', 'Smithson', 'Smithsonian', etc.

I found this site:

http://bakery.cakephp.org/articles/calin/2008/09/18/search-feature-to-cakephp-blog-example

But it seems that the example is too involving with the modification of the
DB.  I'm going down that route for the View and maybe controller, but not
point making an index of some sort.  How can I dumb down the above example
to suit my needs?