On 3/28/07, digital spaghetti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What I believe CakePHP needs is a killer app, a CMS that can rival the
> others out there, and that gives people the chance to actually see
> cakephp in action.  Think of it as a pre-packed Cake you get in the
> supermarket.  RoR has one, Radient CMS - why can't we?  I think by NOT
> having one, that scares a lot of people off.

The killer app for Rails is Basecamp, not Radient CMS.  Rails, in
fact, grew out of extractions from the creation of Basecamp.

Trivial nitpicking aside, I fail to understand how a "killer app" for
CakePHP is going to lead more developers to start using CakePHP
instead of Zend Framework or Symfony.  We are aiming at *developers*
not *users*.

PHP suffers from being considered "lame" by the latest generation of
web developers, who tout Python and Ruby as the only good scripting
languages for the web.  Never mind that several of the biggest web
applications out there use PHP (Yahoo! ring a bell?).

To steal a phrase from Microsoft, it's all about "developers,
developers, DEVELOPERS!!!".  We (as in the community using CakePHP)
need to find constructive ways to convince developers to use CakePHP.

--
Chris Hartjes

My motto for 2007:  "Just build it, damnit!"

rallyhat.com - digital photo scavenger hunt
@TheBallpark - http://www.littlehart.net/attheballpark
@TheKeyboard - http://www.littlehart.net/atthekeyboard