There is no asynchronous call done during an HTTP GET/POST unless you're
running PHP with FastCGI or something. And even then, there's a lot of other
parameters. PHP scripts stop when the client connection dies.

If *all* we're looking for is a database backup, there are prewritten
scripts that already do that...and there is a free cron service that you can
use.

I really don't get why we're making this so hard. But maybe that's just me,
I'm lazy that way.
--
Baz L
Web Development 2.0: Web Design, CakePHP, Javascript