Our content changes much less than that - I only need a backup once
every 6 months, but no harm in doing it monthly as it is zipped. You
can have as frequent as once every 5 mins.

Probably obvious lesson: the backup script deletes the temp directory
and all files in it, so don't set the temp directory to just
dirname(__FILE__) or the script deletes itself!

This problem is now well and truely solved (over-engineered!). I think
both solutions are equally great - mine is very quick to implement and
rollout (quicker than registering, setting up, configing the script,
diagnosing teething troubles, noting passwords, etc), Baz's is
slightly more reliable and zips, and doesn't require changing the cake
framework (making future Cake upgrade problematic).

Thanks hugely Baz for your tireless patience!
Chris