When I really started digging in, I realized that since I am only searching
on one field per table, I don't even need this behavior. I can make the
field a fulltext and then just search on that.

I've been on the issues page on the Google Code site, and a guy on there
submitted a hack for building an index from scratch. They'd probably
appreciate your fixes as well.