There are a few other issues to consider...

For example the learning curve. To get to know CakePHP on an intimate
level you'll probably need 3-6 months of solid development, depending
on ones ability to learn and previous experience with PHP and OO, of
course. After spending more than 1.5 years of developing with CakePHP
almost daily, (I'd like to think :))  it's possible for most to build
an app with the features I've described above in a matter of a 1-2
weeks (5-8 hrs a day).

Secondly, how well does a framework protect you from doing things the
wrong way?
CodeIgniter is more "open" and many people claim it has a much easier
learning curve, which may very well be true... but is learning curve
lower, because some poor, old habits and can be implemented faster?
(i.e. take some old/bad code and quickly port it to CI).

There's a lot to consider in a fair presentation of a framework's
environment, but considering you're doing a science masters thesis, I
do hope you come with the mindset on how to approach it.

Certainly wish you the best in this endeavor.