Hallo Martin,

Thank you for your constructive input! SQL seems not to be the
problem, because pages that don't require any SQL query run as slow as
pages that require some. (Also the amount of affected rows is often
not more than just a couple of)

Following your advice I did 'benchmark' the application and found out
a really 'strange' thing ...

In /cake/libs/configure.php on line 929 there is the following code-
line ...(called during bootstrap)

// Measurement point added by me ... [folder_before]
$directories = $Folder->tree($path, false, 'dir');
// Measurement point added by me ... [folder_after]

At the last iteration it takes up about 1.5 - 2 seconds in average to
parse(!) (which is approximately 50%-60% of the whole processing
time!!) (all iterations before take up only about 10ms) (the complete
processing time was about 3.2 seconds)
The $path variable helds the value of CAKE_CORE_INCLUDE_PATH/cake in
the last iteration

    [folder_before] => 1229554489.78
    [folder_after ([...]/_cake1.2rc3/cake)] => 1229554491.24

On my webhost PHP Safe mode is activated. Could this cause any issues
on folder access times? Maybe one who is more familiar with the core
of the framework could tell why the LAST iteration (containing the
path to /CAKE_CORE_INCLUDE_PATH/cake) takes up that long?

So I think if that issue could be resolved processing times would
decrease to about 1 - 2 seconds which would be as nearly as fast as
the (old) plain PHP site.

Thank you all for helping me with that issue :)

Bernhard