Well....

It seems something for _Nate_ to take a look... :-)

Perhaps there's something to do with PHP Safe mode ou some sort of
hardened PHP plugin which controls and avoids recursion.

This Folder->dir method uses recursion to create the file tree
structure for CakePHP internals. One last check you could do is to run
this software with debug 0 on some other PHP server, but a known Safe-
mode-free server. This would be the final check.

If it works just fine in the other server, then you've found a bug
likely.

Are you able to do such a test?

Thanks,
Dérico Filho