This discussion is covering both editors (like TextMate) to IDEs (like
Eclipse, Komodo and emacs).

Nothing wrong with that of course, but the two kinds of software tend
to have quite different goals.

If what you really want a project-wide features like code
introspection, debugging and completion, then an IDE is the way to
go.  As rogwei mentioned, the project management side of the more
heavywight IDEs like eclipse is painful if you're no used to it - and
by the same token, everything can feel bare naked in TextMate if you
are used to an IDE.

There is one app that's somewhere between an Editor and an IDE that
hasn't been mentioned, it's not free, called skEdit:

http://skti.org/skedit/

skEdit is pure os x software - so it doesn't suffer from the java-ness
of eclipse, and it looks a bit like Textmate too, but the project
management is all baked in and doesn't need any plugins (same with SVN
support).  I don't think it's as awesome as TextMate, but if TM leaves
you feeling like you're wearing the emporer's new clothes it might be
the one for you.  I must admit I wasn't overly impressed with it's
Code Completion in a CakePHP project, since it doesn't seem to inspect
your classes, but for that level you'd really have to go for eclipse.

By the way - on an eclipse tip, if you have a fairly serious chunk of
cash lying around, you might try Zend Studio, which is built on top of
it.  Studio's PHP debugging is, in my experience, peerless; not only
can you set breakpoints and step through your code you can even step
*backward*.

http://www.zend.com/products/studio/

If you really REALLY want free, then have a look at TextWrangler, from
the BBEdit folks:

http://www.barebones.com/products/TextWrangler/

And also Smultron from Tuppis

http://tuppis.com/smultron/

If you want to try emacs but don't like Terminal.app, try Xemacs:

http://www.xemacs.org/

Or, if you're more a Vi kind of guy, there is also MacVim:

http://code.google.com/p/macvim/

(there's an older macvim.org site, but that isn't maintained any more)

Phew!  That was more than I had planned on writing :)

Pete