Sorry to be slow getting back - we've had a thirty hour power outage
following a storm that ripped off roofs and uprooted trees. A little
unusual here in Spain.
@everybody and nobody, I dislike Eclipse and Netbeans because
1. (without redoing the sums) I don't understand why an editor should
use in excess of 250MB runtime (including java) - even Photoshop uses
less than that, and it works.
2. I hate Java. Why is it there? Leave it in AI toasters where it
belongs. And stop reinventing uses for it. (java servlets and sh*t
like that)
3. They both stopped my PC in its tracks (brand new out the box fully
loaded) although NetBeans was a little better.
4. One didn't have drag and drop and the other didn't have something
else really basic that I don't remember.

Smultron I tried. It's okay for HTML but I don't think it really cuts
it with PHP.
Editor/IDE - I don't really care - it doesn't really matter for PHP.
TextMate I tried, but please tell me I'm being dumb and you can show
line numbers without saving them in the file.
Espresso is good but unstable.
I haven't tried TextWrangler yet, but I will.
I used Emacs as my main editor/IDE for about 12 years. Maybe I'll give
it a go again. It has the advantage that it can be used for system
level files aswell.
Or maybe I'll brush off my C++ skills (blech) and write one in Cocoa
or even see if it can be done in Python.

Anyway, I'll write a more considered reply a little later when I've
caught up with everything else.