+1 for Coda or TextMate, but neither are free -- but they both cost
less than $100. Money well-spent, IMO.

As for freebies, you cannot go wrong with TextWrangler:
http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/

I still use this little GUI editor when I need to perform some quick
FTP edits and uploads. I also use it to edit my web development
environment config files quickly (HOSTS, http/virtual hosts, etc).
It's got decent find and replace, FTP bookmarks, support for syntax
highlighting on tons of languages. Check it out for yourself.