I wouldn't call it normal. I am not sure there is a normal collation.
If you state nothing else MySQL will choose utf8_general_ci so that
would be the default.

Binary collation is the collation for non-lingual text. Every
character counts and order clauses cause them to be ordered by their
code-number, not any alphabet.

Every other collation attempts to follow the rules of particular
languages. They each have a cs and ci version for case (in)
sensitivity.

The general and unicode collations are quite similar in behavior
(can't remember the differences) and roughly equate to the rules of
the English language. If you only store basic English characters you
are luck and can stop worrying now.

But storing Swedish names in such a field will make poopie out of
string comparisons and ordering of results. Ä be an A with some
insignificant dots, even though it is a separate character in the
Swedish language. The same goes for Spanish and any other language
with anything but the 26 characters a-z.

So, to cope with Swedish there is a utf8_swedish_ci (or cs) which
recognizes Ä as it's own character but é as just an e and so on.

I had a word of trouble with collations on a project last year. I was
taken by surprise when MySQL decides to see A and Ä as the same
character in where clauses... I thought collation was for ordering
only, but it affects where statements, indexes and other things as-
well.

I strongly recommend reading the confusing and boring pages in the
MySQL manual on the subject if you store and search for data in any
language other than English.

/Martin