I've been thinking about this over the weekend, and...to be honest, if
it's a server issue (you're testing with the same version of CakePHP
on both your development machine, and production server, right?), I
think you're probably going to have to resolve this with your host.

To see what options are available/running on your host within PHP, you
can use the phpinfo() function.  You simply run that on a page all of
its own and view the output (both production and development) and
compare the two results to see what might be different (other than
paths and Operating Systems).

<?php
    phpinfo();
?>