I guess there is no right answer - it's all personal to your circumstances and
objectives. Here's my 2 cents worth.

If all you want to do is learn or show off your CakePHP skills, then spend the
time and do it in Cake - particularly if your business is building Cake itself
(in other words, developing it not using it). Personally, I'd rather spend my
time building sites for clients; sites that do what they want them to and sites
that make me money. I don't think many clients really care how you deliver
their sites and probably have no idea what Cake is. All they want is the right
end result, in the right timeframe, at the right price. If I were thinking of
hiring you and you were proud of the fact that you spent your time building a
blog system when there is an industry standard out there (let's make that
quantum leap a moment) that you could have deployed for free in half an hour,
I'd have an itching feeling at the back of my brain about whether you are going
to be the most efficient and effective developer for me. I wouldn't be
impressed, I'd be doubtful. It suggests that you have too much time and not
enough work (what is the reason for that?). I'd also wonder whether what you
built in your bedroom is anywhere near as good as what a community of near full
time developers have grown over the past five (or whatever) years.

Wordpress has its faults and I have no idea (or desire to know) how it works
under the skin. I've peeked once or twice and walked away pretty sharpish. But
it does what it says it does on the tin (which, at it's heart, is a really,
really simple concept), so that's good enough for me. I can extend it, change
it dramatically in an instant with a new theme and do all sorts of magic
really, really easily. That's why it is so popular. I have even recommended
that clients go straight for Wordpress (or Joomla or ExpressionEngine or any
other blog system) and add extensions themselves rather than spend money with
me. You'd be surprised how much kudos and (paying) repeat business that
generates.

If you want to show off your skills or knowledge, then I'd say do it in two
ways. First, build great (real) sites for real people. That will mean more to
prospective clients than your own sites ever will. Second, write about it in
your blog, contribute to the community and share your wisdom. I have a blog
(which doesn't automatically suggest that I have skills or wisdom!) and I went
straight to Wordpress. I don't even have time to update the content now, let
alone maintain or grow the code. Now and again it tells me that some very kind
people have fixed some security holes and made a bunch of improvements and
please update to the next version, for free. I cannot really think of an area
where it is so severely lacking that I could improve on with my own version; so
why bother.

To say that it is a no brainer to roll your own because you are a developer
doesn't make sense to me. To take that a bit further you could build your own
email client, or browser or word processor - just because you could. In reality
you wouldn't do any of those things because there are better near-free
alternatives readily available, and I'd suggest you probably wouldn't build a
blog either.

Jeremy Burns
Class Outfit

jeremybu...@classoutfit.com