I was responding to the the post from Ryan about 'bake' doing what I
was asking for. When I 'run' a project in grails, that is when the
table construction from a model is done, so i thought there was more
to 'bake' than I had originally thought.

I did go through the blog tutorial as well as the docs on how to
create a model. And from what I remember, in both places I had to
create the db table myself.

You give the docs too much credit to think that in 15 minutes I am
supposed to understand why I have to create the db table: 'posts' by
hand (http://book.cakephp.org/view/1530/Creating-the-Blog-Database)
and then  little bit later have to create a model 'Post' with only a
property of 'name' that = 'Post' with no other methods. And even then,
the reason for that '$name' property isnt exactly clear as to why it's
needed: 'The $name variable is always a good idea to add, and is used
to overcome some class name oddness in PHP4.'

I can understand the logic that the model is an interface to that
table, but I dont remember seeing that outlined anywhere.

So back to my original questions and just to be clear....
what you are saying is that the only way a table and it's rows are
created are by manually creating them in the db myself, right?