Yes, because *sarcasm alert* the hang-ups are entirely those of the callers and
organizers.

When gendered terms are used, people are more likely to sort themselves by
gender. Newcomers are unlikely to even consider the possibility of not doing
so. If there's a goal for dancers to not sort by gender, doing things that
increase the likelihood of sorting by gender are probably worth avoiding..

Also, newcomers who aren't in the know about how the terms are being used will
assume they bear some relationship to the perceived gender of their fellow
dancers, and be confused by who's supposed to do what. (This is probably less
of an issue in MWSD, where there's a lengthy protocol for learning the
language.)

And using terms in a way that's different from how the rest of the world uses
those same terms is considerably more cliqueish than using terms that don't
have a contrary meaning in the rest of the world. (Again, this doesn't seem to
be a concern in MWSD.)

--Read Weaver
Jamaica Plain, MA
http://lcfd.org