On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 5:52 PM, Chrissy Fowler <ktaadn...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> It does seem that some women dancers depend on leadership
> from the gent role, and some men dancers feel pressure to direct
> the non-gent role dancers.  But I don't think there's any lead/follow
> component inherent in the contra dance form.

To some dancers the lead/follow aspect of contra dance is central
while to others it's a minor component or an unwelcome intrusion.
Viewing it as lead/follow is more common among younger dancers, more
frequent dancers, and varies by dance series (in MA it's common at the
Scout House and Greenfield, rare at Medway and Northboro.)

Jeff