Maia,
    I think you have to see contra from the point of view of someone who is not
so talented and versatile as yourself.  What attracts them to contra is that
the caller leads the dance, and if they do what they're told, they can be
successful at the dance, so they can relax and enjoy the social interaction
without pressure to be responsible for someone else's good time.  If at the end
of each swing, both individuals are aiming to end in their respective places,
and during courtesy turns, the left hand person backs up and the right hand
person moves forward, etc., the dance will happen without any special expertise
needed.  Put they way, you can see contra as it is at its foundation: a truly
egalitarian dance.  To lay terms on the roles which imply a demand that one
direct or accept direction from another dancer would do wrong to people who
understand contra this way.  If we are going to step away from tradition, I
think we should at least respect the fundamental nature of the dance for the
sake of those who don't layer on flourishes or take on particular persona to
dance each role.  It does no harm to those who choose to think of themselves as
gallants and passives for the roles to be named something neutral, and perhaps
we will encourage more new flourishes stemming from the right hand person if we
don't teach them to think of themselves as passive.  Just a thought, from
someone who enjoys both roles, twirler and twirlee, no matter where she is
standing.
Andrea

Sent from my iPad