I was going to chime I about historical precedent, but that has partly been
done.  I don't think a swing is ended by just one dancer.  It is a mutually
decided thing, and from the right side I can time the end, stop, or alter a
flourish so it puts me in the right place, control the speed of the swing and
help a new dancer swing better just with my body.  There is no special
leadership in the left role during a swing.  And in a courtesy turn, while it
is true you are doing two different things, the forward walker can get where
she is going unassisted.  The courtesy is in engaging with her with hand and
eye, not in propelling her.  The action is in the joined left hands, and that
only works if both give equal resistance.  I think even modern choreography
does not require one gender role to lead.  They may choose to, and to add
embellishments, but it is not essential.  I matter which gender role I dance,
what I want from my partner is good connection and counterbalance.  I love the
flourishes, don't get me wrong, but they aren't the dance.
Andrea

Sent from my iPhone